Friday, January 27, 2012

Fresh Pavement and Technology Converge

Let me preface this before I start jumping up and down in excitement shouting, "I saw this coming!!!!"


I spent the past 6 months helping this tech/ telecom company called Acme Packet with their Oracle implementation. They are the dominate player in their field. Anyways, I would often stay late and surf the SalesForce chatter groups to learn about the products we sell. Something I quickly learned was one of the great aspects about Acme's products is that the company really does focus on interoperability, security and mobility between different networks. People in the industry call it session border control delivery; SBC delivery for short. Welcome to nerd central, right?

Some of the stuff Acme and their competitors do is starting to become noticeable in our everyday web lives. Facebook and Google allows you to click on a phone number and it starts calling. For the call to work it doesn't matter if your on a WiFi, 4G, Ethernet, etc. network nor does it matter if you are sitting or walking about. The call works (or at least it's supposed to). This realization of mobility and real time communication compared to old fashion broadcasting which we've been forced to deal with for ages stole my imagination.

My mind started racing, literally. I immediately thought of cars. We are in the infancy of a telecommunications/ media boom for the car. Most, if not all, of us have a media craving that surpasses whatever we could ever accumulate and find on our own. If you look around you will find history is replete we examples. We also do a large part of this consumption in the car. This is why we have radio, YouTube and other streaming services.

My question though is why carry an iPod around when you have access to a vast, current library that has music tailored to your tastes for little to no monetary fee? After spending sometime learning about the SBC industry this question kept popping up. The barriers of market adoption, tech-wise, are falling by the wayside. I was also wondering when would the car industry take note? I mean GM has OnStar but that's child play to the possibilities. This was all in my mind for about two months prior me looking at Via Agency's blog with a pic and the little blurb about how the car is finally equipped to be the new frontier in home entertainment.

 Don't follow the Yellow Brick Road. This new one is being freshly paved.


 ~LFMB

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's your two cents?